Are you craving an end of week takeaway? Preferably of the spicy variety but want to keep off the pounds and save the pounds… well, dirhams in our case!
Over here at Oscar and Jemima’s, we had the same challenge – I opened the fridge to find a pack of chicken breasts and a tub of half eaten Greek yoghurt which is all you really need for a delicious homemade curry. And the spices of course! Luckily I always have a very well stocked spice rack and a tin of tomatoes lurking at the back of the cupboard :) Plus I also happened to have half a bag of spinach in the veg draw, but it's not necessary.
Yoghurt and chicken seem like a challenging combination, however it's quite the opposite! Yoghurt makes a great marinade for chicken as the components found in it act as a meat tenderizer - tandoori chicken being a great example.
So I thought I would share this delicious recipe for chicken tikka masala - cheaper healthier and faster than a takeaway curry, and one that even the more adventurous kids will love as the spice level is low on this particular curry. In fact, it's actually a great one for introducing your children to spices and you could even half the amount of chili powder the first time you cook it to see how they get on.
500g chicken breast chopped
4 Tbsp. natural yoghurt
1 tin of tomatoes
1 thumb size piece of ginger grated
1 clove of garlic grated
1 onion sliced
Half a bag of spinach
1 tsp. coriander powder
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. cumin powder
1 tsp. garam masala
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. chili powder
Pinch of salt
- Heat 2 tbsp. groundnut or olive oil on a medium-low heat, add all the dried spices and stir until fragrant, then add the sliced onions and cook slowly for around 10 minutes.
- Add the grated ginger and garlic and combine and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Add the yoghurt and combine then add the tinned tomatoes and chopped chicken, season well and simmer for around 8-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- If you're adding spinach, then add it in a couple of minutes before the end of cooking.
- Serve with rice and mango chutney. Bon appetite!
Share your chicken tikka masala pics on social media using #fallinlovewithcurry and you may win 2 weeks worth of our recipes and meal plans for free!